Outswing garage doors are just one type of many garage door types available in the market. Garage door is one of the items that will keep your house safe especially if you install the garage door opener too. The doors are pretty strong, can adapt with the weather, and you can even choose which one is suitable to you and your house since there are so many types of them sold in the market.
Garage door becomes the favorite entry way of American since like 50 years ago. If you install the automatic door opener, you can go in and out of your house just by clicking a button rather than turn on the key. Other than that, garage door can be adjusted in the material, style, color and many more. But the physical appearance of the door is mostly based on your budget. So, it is important to set the budget before choosing the right garage door for you.
Anatomy of a garage door
There are several parts of garage door you should know. Not all garage doors consist of these items but the most common doors will have those parts such as:
- Torsion spring is the counterbalance for the weight of the door. It makes the door easily lifted.
- Track or rail is the item of the garage door that makes the door works like it should be.
- The rollers are staying on the inside of the track or rail. The ones that are made of steel can be so noisy when it needs maintenance; the ones with nylon will make quieter sound even in outswing garage doors.
- Hinges are in charge to connect the sections horizontally.
- Lock bar helps to engage with the rail or track in order to prevent the doors from opening.
- Weather stripping is in charge to seal the edges of the door against any infiltration of the air.
The most popular materials for the door are wood and steel. The price range is starting from 250 US dollar up to 10,000 US dollar. Those prices are before the installation cost. Some people would love to do the installation job by themselves but sometimes it could be dangerous too. So, if you intend to sell your house in the future, it is better to hire the professional. Besides, it will prevent unwanted thing happen to you.
The craftsman will give you warranty on the material for one year for the wooden door. Some of manufacturer will give lifetime warranty for doors made of steel.
Before you choose the garage door, you should consider many things. One of them is the maintenance and care costs. The care costs depend on the material as well as the exposure to the other elements outside. Wood needs regular coating in order to prevent the decay. Steel needs to take care to prevent rust. Fiberglass can be painted once they get fade. And if you want the best then you should trust the pro to regularly inspect your outswing garage doors.